Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Value of Equality

One of my favorite parts of teaching is those unexpected teachable moments.  We have been learning about nonfiction text features and practicing using them while we read.  So with it being baseball season I thought a biography on Jackie Robinson would be a great read a loud.  As I'm reading the students start buzzing with connections.  I always cover Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in February and we take time throughout the year to focus on the contributions of an array of people in our country.  So the students really had a lot to pull from.  For them it's almost like a fairy tale when I show them pictures of separate entrances, water fountains, schools, etc.  Second graders have strong opinions about fairness and these images don't meet their standards.  I am moved to hear their thoughts about how we should treat each other and what our world should be like.  They give me hope in a world that, even today, is far from fair and equal.  I closed the book and we took a few minutes to discuss generally some examples of things that are still not equal even if the law says they should be.  We also talked about their experiences and what it feels like to be treated unfairly.  I could see my students building on their relationships with their peers and gaining an appreciation for their differences and similarities.  It always amazes me when I see the amount of acceptance and consideration children can have for one another.  I took a moment to help them feel empowered and understand that they can help make our world better, even right now, in any little way, it matters.  We ended the discussion with the simple rule, treat others the way you want to be treated.

No comments:

Post a Comment