Wednesday, April 3, 2013

iPad Management Tips

  Managing iPads in a 2nd grade classroom can be overwhelming at first.  Here are some ideas to keep it simple and get the most use out the iPads everyday.

1.       Assign Students to One iPad
This way you can track their use easier and create usernames in various apps for them. I have six student iPads and each one is labeled with a number on the screen. Since there are 18 students in my class, I have 3 students using each iPad.

2.       Create Groups and Assign Cycle Days
We operate on a six day cycle so I created three groups and assigned them each 2 cycle days for iPad use during the 90 minute literature block.

3.       Create Folders for Apps
We use The Daily Five so I created a folder for each 'five' and organize apps according to the reading, writing or spelling skill it addresses.  This makes it  easier for students to find the apps they need.

4.       Create an iPad Map
I built a giant iPad out of bulletin board paper to give students a map of where to look for the apps and what apps we have learned to use.

5.       Display Assignments
Create a guide for each group's reading assignments.  I usually assign three and one of the three might be an ongoing project or writing assignment.  The students can save their work and continue to add to it on their cycle day until it is ready to turn in or by the deadline I assign.

6.       Storage
You will need a common place in the classroom where the iPads will be stored and charged.  This could be as simple as a dish drying rack set on a table or desk above a power strip.


I will add more tips and images.  Let me know if you have questions or other ideas!

-Mrs. Barcavage



No comments:

Post a Comment