Sunday, April 1, 2012

Reader's Theater and Poetry Breaks

  


   Fluency is an important skill in reading and we practice this often in second grade.  I introduce reader's theater and poetry breaks early in the year and the students get really excited about them.  The reader's theater scripts I use have lines appropriate for many different reading levels.  The narrator usually has more difficult vocabulary and much longer parts, while some side characters may only have 3 lines to read.  We begin by reading the script together as a class.  That way the students can get a feel for what the story is about and who the characters are.  Then they go back to their seats and try reading the script themsevles.  I ask them to choose 2 or 3 characters they would like to play.  When they come back to the circle carpet I assign the parts.  Most of the plays I use have around 7 parts so I end up with 3 groups.  We practice the play during Read to Someone and Read to Self each day.  Then I have them practice in groups with their same parts so they can discuss how their character would act, use expression, etc.  After that they meet with their group and read through the whole play many times.  Finally, we have a few rehearsels in front of our class.  I usually mark the floor with tape so the students know where to stand and we use the smartboard for our background scenes.  A Powerpoint slide show seems to work best.  When they feel ready we make invitations in writers workshop and deliver them to other second grade classes or to our parents.  The students perform in costume for their audience.  Even my shy students come out of their shells the more we perform these plays and my high readers who zoom through the pages learn to slow down and use expression so the audience can follow along.  There are so many readers theaters to choose from we keep them going all year long.  I sometimes try to tie in my Author's Spotlight author with the scripts I choose.  I also use scripts that go along with our science and social studies content.  I great extension with this activitiy is to have your higher students write their own scripts based on their favorite books.  Once you have performed the script you can store it in a puppet center so the students can continue practicing fluency with a puppet show.

   Poetry Breaks are when we gather on the carpet and read poems together.  Usually after literature centers my students will come to the carpet and I will hand out a poem for us to read together.  Sometimes we just practice reading them fluently while seated and other times we act out the poems giving students a chance to move and stretch.  After our poetry break we are transitioned and ready to begin math.

No comments:

Post a Comment